Saturday, February 1, 2014

Planning: A Navy and White Guest Room

The second story of the Bungalow houses two bedrooms - the master, and a decent-sized guest room.  Without a doubt, the "best" guest quarters are going to be in the walk-out basement (quiet, private entrance, private bath, walk in closet, adjacent family room).  So I want the upstairs guest room to feel special in it's own right.

I have been dying to try a navy/white (non-nautical) room - and since the furniture, linen and artwork for this room are already in the portfolio - a new color (to me) is a way to make it all fresh.

Floor:  The room will share the darker-hued hardwood floors of the entire first-second floor.  Rug TBD - I have a dark brown PB wool in storage, but we'll see.

Windows:  The woodwork/new doors will all be white.  On the windows, I'll be adding the same white plantation shutters as the front windows on the ground floor (so to maintain a similar look across all front-facing windows from the street):


Walls:  Finally - an opportunity for Navy - which should really make the white accents "pop".  I'm looking for something with a grey undertone, sort of like this from Restoration Hardware.




Linen:   For the coverlet, duvet, sheets and shams I'll pull from the current linen closet - lots of whites and white with blue accent - I especially like those I have from John Robshaw - uber comfy:

Bed:  The queen sized bed is a beautiful dark-wood from Sommorset; with a matching dresser:

The pic is of this bed, in my master bedroom in the London mews


End Tables:  The end tables will be those I've used before in the guest room - Restoration Hardware glass/polished nickel tables originally sold for the bath.



On the Wall:  There will be a lot of white in the room, including four of these white 3d numbers from Zgallerie that I had in prior homes - cheap, but impactful against the navy…


On the angled roof-wall:  I'll be hanging several of my great-grandmother's quilts from a simple white iron rod.  They are not only practical on cool nights, but hold rich colors, texture, and history:



Side Chair:  Every guest room should have a spot where folks can sit and put their shoes on.  I'll be taking a "spruced up" chair I've had for the last 10 years…a simple Pottery Barn schoolhouse chair w/arms.  In London, I had it lacquered in white, so it looks like new - sort of like this, from J. Adler:



I may reupholster the seat in a bold Navy/White:


kravat

Lamps:  TBD - either white, or a bright color.  There will be a lot of Navy/White in the room - so you might see a bright yellow or red lamp to add some zing.   I'm loving these from a local vintage shop - but may hedge my bets with a white (already owned):




2 comments:

  1. Love it - let me know when you're accepting guests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Julie! Construction should be complete in March, so guests welcome from late April! (Did you see the plans for "first class" in the living room?)

      Delete