Sunday, December 15, 2013

Planning: Living Room Furniture

Given the delay of game in terms of construction, there has been plenty of time to plan the furniture layouts in the house.  It has been fun sorting out how to utilize my current furniture, and where best to supplement with the new (and some new-to-me that is prettied up vintage, as you've seen in earlier posts).  

The ground floor of my bungalow has only three rooms - the living room, powder room and the kitchen.  The living room also serves as the foyer - so it needs to serve several purposes.  First, it needs to be comfortable - somewhere you'd want to settle in with a glass of red wine and a movie on a snowy night.  It needs to be welcoming and functional, with a space to hang coats, leave boots, etc.  And it needs to have a "wow" factor - showcasing the lovely woodwork and lighting that will be added.

As noted in an earlier post - I love grey, and menswear-inspired fabrics…this room will have umpteen shades of grey.   To break up the grey, soft plums, light pinks, and a lot of white will hopefully keep it from looking like a man's closet.  

What I'm bringing with me:

Oly Coffee Table 
Ethan Allen Steel Table

Peter Weigl Large Art - Ceramic on Board
http://www.petrweigl.com


White/Silver Silk Velvet Pillows from ABC Carpet & Home

Donabella Chest from Mitchell Gold

Ornate Lacquered Mirror from Brocade Home

Simple console (very old and seasoned) from Pottery Barn.  Upholstered ottomans from Ballard - in Velvet Pinstripe fabric from Arhaus

Nanny and Papa's cane chairs - 16 layers of lacquer applied; upholstered in grey/white houndstooth by Arhaus


Large art piece by Studio Renea; framed in white laquer

Large pink vessels, a London find
British Cane dark wood TV armoire - Restoration Hardware


And what I'm adding new:
Walter Smithe sofa in velvet (the pillows are toast)
Vintage end table - grey/black
Chandelier by Lightology


New/Old:

I purchased this chair from Crate and Barrel in 2010 - it was upholstered in a pale grey/blue bird print, and uber comfortable…my friend Julie calls it "sitting in First Class".  In the new home, I needed two, but "mine" has been discontinued by Crate and Barrel.  C&B was good enough to give me the manufacturer's name (Sam Moore).  So - I purchased a duplicate Sam Moore via Walter Smithe…it is off with the elves being upholstered in this grey/pink wool plaid.  Upholstery guru David gave the star treatment to the chair I already own - below, the WIP.  So, one chair will be "old" with a new face, and the other completely new.   I have one "ottoman" to go with this - an industrial bench I picked up at a thrift store in NYC, with a cushion upholstered in matching fabric.

Crate and Barrel/Sam Moore in sumptuous fabric by Hickory Chair


And a TBD:

I need a gorgeous, comfy rug to anchor the space - and would like something in violet/plum/purple.  I've found the perfect rug at ABC Carpet and Home, but it's about $10k over my rug budget!  So - here is the inspirational piece.  I'll circle back with whatever I land on!

Pure Gorgeous - ABC Carpet and Home - Silk
Paint:

Room Layout:






No comments:

Post a Comment