Sunday, December 15, 2013

Update: Delay of Game

Early October I was pretty excited - drawings for The Bungalow were fairly landed, key selections had been made, and demo was slated to begin.  All of the work done in planning pre-close seemed to be about to pay off.  The setbacks then began - first, a cost estimate that was more than double that initially presented.  Secondly, I received an email from the selected design/build firm outlining that, for a variety of reasons, not least of which their busy schedule and remoteness to The Bungalow's downtown location, they would be pulling out of the project - a week before demo was to be underway.  Little did I know at the time what a blessing this would be.

I pouted for a day, listening to platitudes from well-meaning family and friends, and then began collecting referrals - and received three recommendations that yielded interviews (thanks, Friends!).  By mid-October, a couple weeks after "the big news", I had contracted with a new firm (based in the city), and we were off and running.  The new firm proved much more responsive and creative than that which I'd worked with previously.  I met with their preferred architect and we re-drew plans.

I learned that my budget could accommodate a much better layout in the basement, (including a laundry room, yeah!)  but didn't yet have room for the recommended dual-zone HVAC system (my current system only had a few years of life left, and as winter was upon us, it was clear that the heat was not being well distributed).  Allocating an additional $12k for un-sexy HVAC wasn't as much fun as my on-going search for the perfect bar stools, but is the right thing to do.  (It also has terrific aesthetic benefit - the entire burgundy box will be gone!)

The other eye-opener was the recommendation for permits approval…all three of the contractors I interviewed insisted upon permits, in stark contrast to the out-of-town team I was working with from the beginning.  Again, the right thing to do, but has cost valuable time - the new architect's optimistic assessment of "two to three weeks" is in reality "two to three months".

So - we're in a waiting game with the City, expecting to start construction in early January and wrap mid-March.  Demolition has been completed - photos to follow, as well as an update as to the plans for the rooms I shared with you below.  Some plans have changed quite a bit - e.g. the kitchen is now a "full gut"…with thanks to the terrific kitchen designer that works in affiliation with the construction team selected.  

I've already learned so much through this process - and construction has not even started!

No comments:

Post a Comment