Saturday, September 28, 2013

A "New to Me" Chair

After bringing some new life to the previously ugly Thonet chairs and Lane end tables, I headed back to my friend Craig('s list) in search of other budget finds waiting for some TLC.  Today I was one for two in this regard.   There were so many opportunities to rescue old furniture today, between Craig's listings, Randolph Street Market and Design Harvest.

The wish list:
  • A new bed/headboard and dresser, that will clear the 54 inch sloped ceilings in the master bedroom.  My current set, which I love, has tall finials on the headboard, and a dresser that reaches my clavicle.   So - future guests, your furniture will be really nice.  Given the gorgeous  kitchen cabinets I scoped today, I need to furnish the bedroom on a budget!  Stay tuned! 
  • An upholstered chair for the master bedroom.
Today I scored a big checkmark on the upholstered chair - purchasing a mid-century tufted Thomasville wingback, that, once reupholstered will look gorgeous!  Twenty dollars!  Try and picture it in a white pique, or other white fabric, with grey piping and buttons on the tufts.  Maybe grey legs.  My little SUV is definitely getting a lot of hauling time!




December update:  The $20 Thomasville is no longer Harvest Gold - it is now white canvas, with seersucker trim and buttons.  It is going to look great in the master bedroom - thanks, David & family!




In terms of the bedroom set, my early morning trek to Elmherst was uneventful.  I met a nice family with a terrific dog, but they want to sell a complete set, and I was only interested in the dresser.  So - back to the drawing board - but with three months to sort it out.

I also found a great shop in West Town (Revision Home) that has already fixed up some vintage items, and purchased this end table for the living room - with the grey paint and walnut lacquer top, it looks pretty mod for an old piece:



All in all, a great bargain hunting day out on a beautiful fall day!



No comments:

Post a Comment