Friday, September 20, 2013

I own the Bungalow!


Close was today - after a bit of last minute back-and-forth on documents, I now own The Bungalow.   It's been more than two months since putting in the offer and close.  A few key learnings at this early stage:

1. It's important to find a good buyer's broker/agent:  Kudos to Mary and especially my go-to girl Tawnya McVicker at  MKT Properties @Properties.  From (out of scope) sourcing of the Thonet chairs (that at the time looked like junk) to staying late late on a Friday to work out an offer to micro-managing the close so it occurred on time....Thank you.  Mary and Tawnya knew this Bungalow was meant to be my home before I saw it - and also knew some of the nasty pieces of work we saw earlier weren't going to be a fit, but humored me as I became a more educated consumer.  Tawnya persevered (and held my hand) despite some very not-so-nice negotiations along the way.  As Papa would say: "A Class Act".  Highly recommended.

2. Even not-so-nice negotiations along the way can have a surprise ending:  The sellers proved to also be classy by so throughly cleaning the home, and:
    • Putting all the warrantee/operating manuals in a nice plastic box
    • Leaving a house-warming orchid and lovely welcoming card on arrival, and a bottle of champagne in the fridge
    • Providing me forwarding contact info should I have any questions
    • Changing key filters yesterday, and leaving me with enough to last the year
If the reno process is supported in such a way - then I'm in luck!  We're on a good track - and I've already learned a lot through the planning process:
  • Architects have GOOD ideas:  Some of the solutions (small primary bath, small footprint for basement bath/basement, need for dedicated laundry space) have been creatively overcome by a knowledgable, creative expert.
  • Good architects/GCs have awesome negotiated rates with good suppliers - some of the costings I'd figured on for lighting and bath fixtures based on internet research proved moot.
  • But - sometimes what you've self-sourced is the way to go:  e.g. tile.  The premium commanded by the tile shops will be circumvented by similarly sourced materials at a local outlet given my basic requirements. 
  • Budget for stuff you didn't think was in scope:  E.g. I thought my bedroom furniture would slot well into place in the existing master - with measurements, I now understand that my love for tall finials on headboards and substantial dressers isn't helping me, here.  Good news: my guests will have really good furniture.  But now I need to find a creative solution to furnishing the master bedroom on a budget - should make for a decent post in the future.
Anyone with interesting "house closing" stories to tell?
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment