Thursday, August 15, 2013

45 Days to Close - the home search completith

With the lawyer review finally wrapped today, and the escrow check on it's way to the bank, it feels real that this cute little bungalow will become mine in 45 days.  Having viewed 15 homes in Near North Chicago, Logan Square, Wicker Park, and Bucktown, and upping my budget twice, I'd become a bit deflated.  After years of longing for a great little fixer-upper I could call my own while living in expat rentals, my arrival back in the US came at a time when housing prices in my neighborhoods of interest were nearing pre-crash highs.  And with thanks to Mr. Bernanke, interest rates were on the rise - creating a buyer's panic in a limited market.  

And then, we toured IT - my broker knew before I did that it would be perfect for me.  Currently a 2 bed, 2 bath home, the exterior has maintained it's charming 120 year old facia.  The interior is another matter:  on the plus side, it benefits from completed HVAC, newer windows, great hardwood floors, and a very workable space plan.  The current owners have cared for it impeccably.  However, this home has been shockingly stripped of all the charm that one would expect in an older home - gone is the fine millwork, and in it's place, modern, strange angles, disjointed lines, garish colors, miscellaneous cutouts, and not-quite builders-grade workmanship.

My mission:  ensure this home's interiors become as charming as the exterior, while adding functionality via improved bathrooms and kitchen, and the addition of a third bed/bath in the walk-out basement - and to do this in a way that my "grand vision" (wink, wink) doesn't price me out of the market (and empty the coffers).

Here I'll record the great project ahead!

2 comments:

  1. It's so cute and I know you'll make it amazing. Love the fabric above and fun chair story. This is a great way to capture your project as it transforms to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carissa - I can picture Lucy crawling all over the chairs; they may be "glam" enough for her discerning taste!

    ReplyDelete