Sunday, August 11, 2013

Planning - color scheme and layout - the basement living space

With more than a month to go before closing, or before any work can commence on the home, I'm satisfying my need for SOME progress by determining color choices for the soft furnishings/paint.

The Basement:

The basement is roughly 800 square feet - half of which is "finished" and the other (very raw) half to be eventually configured as walk-out bedroom, bath and laundry.  Since the finished section will require no construction, I've been playing with upholstery choices, paint, furniture layout and flooring options.

My goal: spend less than $3k in total on this finished space, inclusive of floor, paint, furnishings and stair treads.  Utilize items I have or can repurpose at little cost.  Make the space feel airy and light (or as airy and light as possible in a basement with seven-foot ceilings!

My point of inspiration is a great fabric I found at Bennison, below.  It has terrific grey tones, allowing me to utilize an existing grey Room and Board sofa and an "in storage" skirted console table in a grey herringbone pattern.  My new "found" chrome club Thonet chairs, upholstered in a white leather, will fit into the space, as will the mid-century Lane marble-topped end tables and a to-be-upholstered-and-sprayed coffee table from the same collection.  (These tables/ottoman legs will be sprayed the bright blue from the B-print by my new uber talented new buddy David @ CU - a family owned business in S. Chicago (David@comfortupholstery.com.)  I have some terrific polished nickel drapery rods from RH in storage, along with white linen drapery panels, also RH.   A game table - in the form of my great-grandmother's drop-leaf maple table (def not to be sprayed) will add functionality, and a play area for my Friends with Kids (I'm looking at you Carissa K, Betsy G, and Mandy T!)  The trick - at $250/yard, this gorgeous Bennison fabric is going to have to make a statement as a 2-yard accent rather than as a primary feature.  I plan to utilize it as substantial trim for the drapes and TBD roman blind on the other window, in pillows for the sofa, and as piping on the upholstered ottoman.  You can get the gist of the color scheme in the snapshot below right.




For paint, current thinking is for a lighter blue-aqua tone - almost a tinted white on the ceiling, and slightly darker tint on the walls.  The flooring is TBD, but I'm liking the look of some of the 24x24in linoleum squares I've seen online - in a pale grey and white checkerboard pattern.  A lino will let me eventually carry the same flooring into the hall/laundry room that will be adjacent to this living space (at about $3.50/sq foot).

Anyone with lino-square experience to share?

A Not-Anywhere-Close-To-Scale drawing of the basement living-space layout, including a mis-located structural pole I'll have to work around.  The to-be-finished bed, bath, laundry lies to the right of the open door.


And - some "current" pics:









2 comments:

  1. Love this fabric!!! And appreciate game table

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decorating Guru Sally C has come through on the fabric - she's going to get it for $210 a yard. Still limits me to 2/yards to stay w/i budget, but that extra $90 will be easily spent (pays for an end table to be professionally sprayed! I can see the kids playing rumicube, doing puzzles, and coloring away on the game table as we watch a game or start the BBQ!

    ReplyDelete